Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Boomkins too low on dps.

So, I've been looking at Simcraft lately and comparing my possibly dps on a patchwerk fight to other dps classes in my guild of equal gear on a patchwerk fight and I've got to say, I'm pretty disappointed in boomkin's possible dps output.

Currently Simcraft tells me I'm roughly 4-6k dps behind other classes (Hunters Rogues Shamans Paladins, etc) of equal gear. Now, whether you think Simcraft is flawed or not, it's pretty spot on with my raid's dps at the moment.

Now I come to the point of this thread. Balance druids need a buff, plain and simple.

I understand that there are problems with buffing a class and having it balance for both pvp and pve, but currently there aren't many boomkins in pvp either. Meaning there needs to be a slight buff to both sides.

My thoughts are modifying the mastery. Instead of 2.0% per point it can be raised to 2.25% or 2.35%, thus increasing eclipse damage by ~5%. If this seems to wide of a buff (which is really isnt in the long run) however it may bridge the 5k dps gap.

Any other ideas for a buff to bridge the dps gap between Balance druids and other dps are welcome. The more ideas the better, maybe we'll get our voices heard.

Iv found that its very hard to stay on par with other classes DPS without being able to keep up more than one moonfire or insect swarm, sure this is from a PVP prospective, but most classes seem to have a good amount of burst at the push of a button whereas with boomkin i need that wrath starsurge combo to put out some good damage, and even then its not the best without crits, no crits and the ultimate combo i might be able to get out 25-30k with wrath+starsurge +if you add the damage from starfall and a tick from MF and IS it might total to about 36k.
If you buy the resto tier chest, you can close the gap by about 1-3k (depending on how well you play).

Boomkins scale incredibly well with gear, DS isn't a favorable boss list for us (lots of single target). We're not terrible, we're just not as good as a lot of the other dps speccs for the majority of encounters this tier.
Balance needs to be looked at , definitely.

In PvE single target my DPS is horrid compared to others, in PvP good luck trying to get any damage done if you're being focused.

I think what's hurting us so much is that time when you're not in an Eclipse. I thought being in an Eclipse would boost our damage, not make us do what other classes are doing without such mechanics. When other classes DPS they don't have to be in a certain state to do comparable DPS to other classes while Balance Druids need to.

I like the Eclipse mechanic but it needs to be a DPS increase when we hit it, not just making our damage like everyone else'.

But good luck with that changing. When it was brought up in Blizzcon one of the developers just told the guy to reroll...
I dont think this is something that will be fixed. Why would they take time to rebalance us just so that they can rebalance us again in the MoP patch? Beta is imminent if mmochamp is right, so we'll have to hope that the redesign on our talents gives us that push we need.

Rather than change any mechanics they could just give us a numbers sweep, but tbh I really dont see them doing that, as those kinds of things rock the boat. Look at how much a 17% fireball buff changed mages. They had to turn around and debuff it by 6% just because with all the factors involved it ended up being significantly more than they thought.
Well the way I see it right now is that Simcraft tells me on a tunneling fight, I should do 37k. I do 35-36k depending on slight movement. So it seems pretty close but I dont necessarily think dragon soul is rough on boomkins. I just dont scale as well as other classes. My problem is that everyone I've run through sim is nearly spot on with their dps. The gap is just still there. I may close the gap a little when i get a few more pieces but I doubt it will close it by that much. I'll just have to wait and see.

I still believe a slight alteration in mastery could help out tremendously. I'll probably either stop complaining about balance dps when I get the heroic Lightning rod and 410 resto chest or make even more threads. Only time will tell. But for the moment, I see a large dps gap and would like to see it closed. The 10% starsurge damage just wasn't doing it. I shouldn't have to have a haste cap crutch to be up to par (and still lower in damage) with the other dps in my raid.
I'm fairly convinced at this point that Blizzard has balanced moonkin around having the legendary staff. Moonkin without the legendary are just going to do crappy damage until Mists of Pandaria. /hates legendaries 'cause I don't have one.

Also the simmed numbers for stand-still fights don't mean as much as the practical numbers (that will be a lot lower due to movement) in real fights.

No comments:

Post a Comment