Saturday, April 14, 2012

Am I ready for PVE - and where?

[:1]Having done almost no PVE, I am feeling like I want to do a little so I can see what the LFR stuff is like. My question is, what of my gear do i need to change in order to get into pve?

I prefer to be in a DPS role, but I have experience and could tank as well. This is pretty much all the "PvE" gear that I have - as you can see only the 2 trinkets are pure pve. I know that for feral since we have similar stats pvp gear will work in a pinch, but what role would it be easier for me to get into and which of my gear do I need to change?
you'd be okay for HOT heroics as DPS. You'd be a very squishy Bear, though.
As for LFR, if you have the gear go ahead and queue. I was in one the other day with a Mage that didn't break 5k dps on a single boss and nobody cared. So as long as you don't manage to royally screw things up you will be fine.
Thanks for the replies, and yeah. The main thing is that I don't want to be a burden on the rest of my group/raid.


I figure i'll start out gearing for DPS and then I can reforge/regem/reglyph to tank as needed. So, what sort of DPS should I be pulling? - I want to start with regular heroics before moving on to HoT heroics.

Is there a general iLvL that is a cutoff where my pvp gear is better? (factoring in the wasted resil stat)
::Yikes! Wall incoming, that must have happened when I wasn't looking, important points are bolded::


I figure i'll start out gearing for DPS and then I can reforge/regem/reglyph to tank as needed. So, what sort of DPS should I be pulling? - I want to start with regular heroics before moving on to HoT heroics.


Having PvP gear in LFR should be no problem, as long as you have a halfway-decent desire to do well. Belive me, that won't be what the raid will be worried about. HoT can be a little . . . scarier, I suppose, to just jump feetfirst into, but that's mostly because more weight is on each player's shoulders. Now, I'm speaking as a Balance that hasn't played (broken computer) for a week or two, so take any numbers I throw out with a grain of salt.

The DPS I saw in HoT heroics (PuG) seemed to run the gamut from around 10k-30k --on non-gimmick encounters, that is-- but the general rule of things dying before the tank applies. If everyone in the group is ~17k or above, you'll do just fine. The instances aren't too difficult for an aware group, and there's not too many huge DPS checks from what I can recall, so low numbers will just drag things out and make your healer/tank sweat a bit. If you're not topping charts, just volunteer to handle mechanics/interrupts (and follow through, of course), and it should be smooth sailing.

As far as gearing goes, you'll love how often Agility leather drops in HoT (at least it seemed to when I was looking for Int leather), so I'd suggest finding some guaranteed solid players to run with until you get to where you're comfortable with ilvl, as taking chances with LFD can be a little sketchy. In my view, don't stick around in the regular heroics any longer than you needto from a gear standpoint, unless you enjoy them, in which case it's no biggie.

And Tagartou is absolutely correct, by the way, don't be afraid of LFR. Nothing in Seige should give the group trouble, with possible exception of the rainbow slimes, and the experience/gear is generally worth the time you put into it.

In summation, don't worry about starting PvE too much. As long as your rotation is under your fingers comfortably, the DPS will be where it needs to be.
I just healed a group through WoE that only had 10k DPS for all 3 DPS, and about 10k for the tank (with the crit buff) so meh, doable. Although the damage on Azshara was outright frightening (the mind control can evidently play the Priest better than the Priest can play himself).

No comments:

Post a Comment